J. Larry Stine, a Senior Principal in the Firm and an AV rated attorney, enjoys a diverse practice in which he covers a broad range of labor and employment matters. Larry is the former Region IV Counsel for OSHA in the Office of the Solicitor for the U.S. Department of Labor. He is nationally known for his expertise in Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), wage and hour laws (including FLSA, DBRA, SCA, and state laws) and the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act (MSPA.) He is co-author of Wage and Hour Law: Compliance and Practice (West Publishing 1995 to date) and Occupational Safety and Health Law: Practice & Compliance (West Publishing 2008 to date).
Providing clients with the information and guidance they need to avoid controversies is Larry’s first line of defense. This role starts with regulatory impact analysis and keeping clients abreast of developments. He also focuses on litigation prevention through counseling, compliance audits and training, and through assisting employers with developing workplace policies and procedures to comport with all State and Federal laws and regulations including those directed at government contractors by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP.) Larry also provides executive leadership and management training, and helps clients design effective systems for personnel management and review.
Larry’s litigation experience includes defending employers against individual, class and collective actions in Federal and State court, before Administrative tribunals, as well as in arbitration and mediation. In OSHA matters, Larry focuses on insuring that employers do not accept citation items and penalties that are not proper. These skills were on display in his negotiated settlement of the largest OSHA case in history which included approximately 5000 citations. Some of his more recent reported matters include:
- Perez v. Mountaire Farms, Inc., 650 F.3d 350 (4th Cir. 2011) – FLSA donning and doffing case
- Fulford v. Alligator River Farms, LLC, 858 F.Supp.2d 550 (E.D.N.C. 2012) – MSPA and Title VII – summary judgment granted to Defendants on all counts but poster count (E.D.N.C. 2013)
- Secretary of Labor v. Watson, 2006 WL 2641337 (OSHRC 2006) – Award of Equal Access to Justice Act attorney fees to employer.
- Anderson v. Cagle’s, Inc., 488 F.3d 945 (11th Cir. 2007). cert. denied, 128 S.Ct. 2902 (2008)
- Albritton et al. v. Cagle’s Inc., 508 F.3d 1012, 1017 (11th Cir.2007)
- Brooks v. Cagle’s, Inc., No. 4:07-CV-0036 (June 23, 2008);
- Bertrum et al. v. Cagle s, Inc., No. CV-05-RRA-1133-M (N.D. Ala., Nov. 13, 2008)
- Jenkins v. Harrison Poultry, Inc., No. 2:07-CV-00058-WCO (N.D. Ga. July 29, 2008)
- White v. Tip Top Poultry, Inc., No 1:07-CV-101 (N.D. Ga., Oct. 7, 2008)
- Clark, et al. v. Tip Top Poultry, Inc., No. 1:07-CV-1155 (N.D. Ga., Feb. 13, 2009)
- Lepara v. Cagle’s Inc., 168 Fed. Appx. 917 (11th Cir. 2006)
- Matter of Crider Poultry, Inc., 2010 WL 1524571 (SD Ga. 2010)
- Israel v. Raeford Farms of Louisiana, LLC, No. 5:06 CV 1999 (WD La. 2011)
- Atkinson v. House of Raeford Farms, Inc., 2011 WL 1526605 (D.S.C. 2011)
- Secretary of Labor v. Southern Pan Services, 2014 WL 7338403 (OSHRC 2014)
In addition to advising employers in industries too numerous to name here, Larry advises national trade associations in the lumber, furniture, apparel, health care and food processing industries, and state trade associations in the poultry, trucking, nursing home and textile industries.
Larry graduated cum laude from both the University of Georgia and its law school where he was Senior Editor of the Georgia Law Review. He is admitted to practice in Georgia and in U.S. District Courts in Arkansas, Florida, Colorado, Texas and Tennessee, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, and 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. He is a regular speaker on OSHA and wage & hour issues and former Editor of several trade publications including: Safety & Health Newsletter for Associated Builders & Contractors of Georgia; OSHA Alert for American Furniture Manufacturers Association; OSHA Alert for Georgia Poultry Association; and, Employment and Labor Law Section Newsletter -- Georgia Bar Association.